Unapplied does not mean a payment is delayed being deposited in to your bank account.
An unapplied payment is a payment that did not have an invoice, or may have been coupled with an invoice, but was not connected to settle it.
Remittance advice refers to the invoices your customer intends to settle with a payment. One payment may be for multiple invoices, or only partially paying one.
Will my payment be delayed until I 'apply' the remittance advice?
No. Don't worry. The payment will be processed regardless. You can sort through the details and apply the remittance advice when you have time.
How do I apply remittance advice?
To apply remittance advice, or to see how payments have been applied.
- Go to the Payments Tab
- Select Received
- Select the Reference # for a payment.
- There you may see 2 sub tabs:
- Remittance Advice - these are the invoices your customer intends to pay.
- Payment Application - this is how payment actually impacts the balances of your invoices. Here, you see the Unapplied amount and are able to record your payments and discounts.
- Enter the $ amounts you were paid for each invoice. Then 'Save'. Once the invoice $ amount matches the total $ amount received the payment will be 'Applied'.
What if I don't see remittance advice?
There are a couple of reasons you may not see remittance.
- There is no remittance advice associated with a payment. A payment may have been made with no invoice to reference.
- The sender sent the payment without including details.