Unapplied does not mean a payment is delayed being deposited in to your bank account.
An unapplied payment is a payment that should have been coupled with an invoice, but was not connected to settle it.
Remittance advice refers to the invoices your customer intends to settle with a payment. One payment may be for multiple invoices, or only partially paying one.
Will my payment be delayed until I 'apply' the remittance advice?
No. Don't worry. The payment will be processed regardless. You can sort through the details and apply the remittance advice when you have time.
How do I apply remittance advice?
To apply remittance advice, or to see how payments have been applied.
- Go to the Payments Tab
- Select Received
- Select the Reference # for a payment.
- There you may see 2 sub tabs:
- Remittance Advice - these are the invoices your customer intends to pay.
- Payment Application - this is how payment actually impacts the balances of your invoices. Here, you see the Unapplied amount and are able to record your payments and discounts.
- Enter the $ amounts you were paid for each invoice. Then 'Save'. Once the invoice $ amount matches the total $ amount received the payment will be 'Applied'.
What if I don't see remittance advice?
There are a couple of reasons you may not see remittance.
- There is no remittance advice associated with a payment. A payment may have been made with no invoice to reference.
- The sender sent the payment without including details.